Wednesday, August 5, 2009

ORCHESTRA

George and Lynne are at a concert. They are near some ladies in matching blue dresses. All three women start a sentence involving an expression which uses an instrument. It turns out they are members of the orchestra, which makes George and Lynne happy.

At first glance, it would appear that our attention should focus on the attractive couple in the foreground. However, it turns out they are merely a distraction and a visual aid to show us just how deep in the throng George and Lynne are standing.

Whether George and Lynne are talking to these women in the blue dresses is a mystery. They are clearly pleasantly surprised when they find out the women are part of the orchestra which would imply that they don't know them, but if they don't know them then they are standing disturbingly close to them. And why do these women not finish their sentences? They seem to be interrupting each other, or their speech falls out of ear shot. Perhaps out of earshot of the attractive couple in the foreground. What they are actually are saying is thus:

Woman 1: I never play second fiddle to anyone so obviously I'm quite disappointed not to be first violin in this particular concert.
Woman 2: Well, I've been known to blow my own trumpet, but I can't be the best trumpet player in this orchestra because I scarcely have a note to play in the second half.
Woman 3: I don't like beating my own drum, though my brand new timpani has turned me into an excellent percussionist.

Of course there is a logical explanation for all of this. George has spotted 3 ladies in blue dresses and wonders why they are dressed alike. Lynne suggests they go and ask them. On the way over they briefly catch parts of their conversation. Just as George is about to ask them about their dresses, they quickly have to run to the stage to prepare for the second half. Both George and Lynne smile as it explains their similar attire.

No comments:

Post a Comment